Chaplain (Ecumenical), HM Prison & YOI Parc in Bridgend
External FT Vacancy
Job Reference: 5166
Closing Date: 25/07/2017
Salary : £30,824.96 per annum
Contract Type: Full Time
As the world’s leading security solutions group with operations in over 100 countries and more than 610,000 employees worldwide, G4S is a truly unique company. We’re bigger, more diverse and involved in more fascinating, cutting-edge projects than many people would imagine and we now have an opportunity for Chaplain to join our team at HMP Parc, a category B prison, In Bridgend, South Wales, currently holding over 1600 men and young people in a secure but modern environment.
Job Outline: To provide a pastoral ministry to prisoners and staff; to provide opportunities for worship, religious observation and instruction; to make a general contribution to the management and policies of the prison; and to develop the relationship between the prison and the local community.
- Pastoral care of prisoners, including interviewing new Receptions, Discharges, visiting those located in the Safer Custody Unit and those segregated under prison rules
- Responding to prisoner applications and offering ministry to the suicidal and the bereaved
- Worship, preaching, teaching in accordance with your faith tradition
- Group instruction and provision of offending behaviour programmes using a variety of media e.g. music, information technology etc
- The provision of resources pertinent to your faith tradition, within the constraints of the prison budget
- Creation of opportunities for faith sharing (not proselytising) and organising special events.
- Keeping alive prison family links through the ministry of local faith groups and their representatives
- Developing and maintaining collegiate relationships within the Chaplaincy team and attendance of team meetings
- Keeping accurate administrative records in accordance with G4S prison requirements and Prison Service directives.
- Maintaining a Chaplains Journal of duties performed and actions taken
- Advising the Prison Director and Senior Management Team and representing Chaplaincy on management groups as required
- Contributing to achieving an acceptable or better rating in any Religion audit
- Developing a role within the total life of the prison promoting moral and spiritual values in accordance with your faith
- Facilitating visits by local Faith Representatives to see prisoners of their own faith
- Attendance of training events and conferences as arranged by the prison
- Contributing to Employee Induction on the work of the Chaplaincy at the establishment
- Carrying out ‘On Call’ duties
The Ideal Candidate:
- Be an ordained Minister or Lay person suitably qualified and endorsed by the candidate’s own denomination
- Be trained to a recognised academic competence in Theology, Biblical Studies and Pastoral Care
- Have the formal endorsement of the denomination represented
- Must be IT literate - Emails, Microsoft Word and Excel
- Minimum of 2 years experience in Ministry
- Be an effective communicator
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience in faith matters
- Have a commitment to working collaboratively in a Multi-Faith context
- Have a proven track record of pastoral care, committed to upholding the dignity and worth of others
- Respect the beliefs and practices of others, irrespective of faith
- Be committed to continued personal growth, and effective work/life balance i.e. physical health, family life, and professional and spiritual development
For more information and to apply the post, please visit here.
For eligibility to work as a Prison Chaplain, please visit here.